Owning a restaurant is a large undertaking. Your goal is for your customers to come and dine in your facility and enjoy themselves so much that not only will they come back, they will encourage other people to eat there as well. One thing that could prevent this from happening is if they hear, see, or smell insects or rodents in your kitchen or dining room. Every state has different laws about cleanliness in a restaurant. If you cannot keep your commercial kitchen clean you could easily be shut down when the health district comes out. Here at All-Rite Pest Control we understand the financial devastation that having your kitchen shut down could cause you and your employees. We have some tips for you on how to keep your business clean.
Best Ways to Keep Flies & Bugs Out of Food Industry
There are some spots that pests consistently will be drawn to both inside and outside of your kitchen. We want to go over some of those spots with you.
• Food Prep Areas: The areas in your kitchen where food is prepped frequently ends up with crumbs, drips, and splashes on it. You will want to make sure that your food prep areas are wiped down consistently throughout the day so that insects do not come looking for food.
• Dining Tables: Similar to food prep areas, dining tables frequently get crumbs, drips, and splashes on them. You will want to make sure that the tables and chairs get thoroughly wiped down between each and every party.
• Storage Area: All commercial kitchens have to store large amounts of food. You will want to take extra precautions in storing your food to make sure that you do so safely. Dry food products will need to be stored in tightly-sealed food storage containers. It can be tempting to store them in bags but loosely closed bags and boxes are a pests dream come true when they are looking for their next meal. You will want to store food off the ground and away from walls so that you can easily clean and inspect around the storage containers.
• Trash Cans: You will want to make sure that you use a liner in all of your trash cans. Trash cans should also have lids. What type of garbage and lid you purchase is important. Pick whatever type of trash can and lid combination that works best for you and your employees.
• Floor Drains: In your washing area and janitor closet you will want to have floor drains. These floor drains unfortunately are a breeding ground for pests and insects. You will want to make sure that you routinely clean the drain out.
• Outside Lighting: Insects are drawn to the warmth given off by light fixtures. You will want to make sure that you are careful about where you put your lighting outside your kitchen area so that every time the back door of the kitchen is opened a hundred bugs are not right there waiting to fly in.
• Dumpsters: Dumpsters are a necessary evil. They are needed to collect trash in but they do indeed attract insects and rodents. You will want to make sure that you regularly clean the area around your dumpster with water to help keep that area clean and pest free. You will also want to make sure that you place your dumpster away from your main building.
If you pay attention to the areas that we listed above you should be able to keep insects, rodents and pests out of your commercial kitchen. You will also want to have a pest control service come in regularly. All-Rite Pest Control can come and help you keep your kitchen clean so that you can stay open for business. Call us today!